July 12, 2008

Quirks and Conundrums

One of the colleagues I once worked out with had a pretty well defined physique, a body that most gals would drool over and guys would dream of having. To say the least, I was definitely interested to find out the master workout plan that churned out this jacked body. I was half expecting some elaborate regimen that involved hypertrophy or strength elements, but to my surprise....ALL he did for every S-I-N-G-L-E workout was Chest and Biceps! Well refraining from being too judgmental, I decided to work out with him and have a first hand look at his training style.

From what I can see, my colleague favours doing bench presses, seated machine bicep curls, and swiss ball crunches most of the time. I tried incorporating some different movements to his regimen e.g. dips, side bridges, plyometric push-ups, and shoulder presses to shake things up a bit and work other muscles. And again, I was shocked that despite not really doing these exercises before, he basically killed them!! Perhaps I should have amped it up a bit more with some Olympic lifts, but regardless I was still pretty impressed.

As much as it might defy conventional logic or lack scientific backing, there is a reason why people would unwaveringly follow time tested methods...because it works! You might not be able to quantify it, but yeah after 5-6 years of chest and biceps and you can produce a body like that....well people might just say "why not!?" Don't get me wrong, I'm still a staunch believer of functional training and maximizing your body's flexibility and strength. I would still recommend training the right way without creating any muscular imbalances.

But yeah it got me to think, being a neophyte fitness enthusiast, there are still many things that confound me and perhaps will make more sense when I gain more field experience deep in the gym training with the experts. There is only so much we can yield from theory, but it can never replace or precede practical experience.










No comments: