March 28, 2008

Quick Sidenote

Just want to quickly address an small omission from my introduction. My source of information would come from various strength training and conditioning books written by fitness luminaries that I mentioned in my intro. Why do I choose these guys in lieu of bodybuilding magazines which feature large, buff, and specifically trained bodybuilders giving a set of advice on getting larger biceps...in like 1 second?

Well first of all, these magazines have been purported to be allegedly owned by some segments of the supplement industry. Even if that allegation is not true, I find the exercises recommended usually tailored for bodybuilders and not for the average joe who's looking to improve his fitness and also look good in the mirror. There are occasionally good info in there, but all the info is hidden in between a jungle of supplemental ads, which again claim to make your man boobs bigger and look more pumped. (Of course you'll look pumped, you're working out for christ's sake)

The experts whose books and information I look to for advice, on the other hand, are people who are recognized by the United States's National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA) or PhD researchers. They convey information about training which athletes and normal people use just to improve their health and athleticism. They also portray weight training in a more holistic manner, beyond just working out for bigger biceps or an Arnold-esque chest. (Although for people who train to look good, even with this sort of training you'll definitely see gains with your musculature. Look at some American football quarterbacks and running backs, plus some sprinters, and you'll know what I mean)

Personally, I rather look for information from a book or fitness magazine whereby logic and scientific evidence prevails and isn't clouded by a miasma of random supplements, herbs, and anecdotal evidence from unnaturally large bodybuilders. Although initially I did fall into the trap of training just to look good, I realized that the training that lead me there was flawed and would inevitably lead me towards a road of injuries. Weight training has a string of benefits beyond just looking good. It will challenge you to a whole new different level, it increases your metabolism with the addition of extra muscles, it will endeavour you to eat better and improve your health, plus a plethora of other intriguing benefits. Think about it.

No comments: